Christmas mix, not for mother
I am reposting this mix from seven years ago (before I made home-cooked covers) as a way of letting everybody know that all links to the Christmas mixes should be up-to-date now. I re-upped four mixes today.
This mix is most certainly not in keeping with the season to be jolly. As the title suggests, it’s not what you’ll bring to mother for Christmas lunch or dinner.
Some of the stuff is downright strange (TVTV$, Mr Lif), some of it pretty amusing (Ben Folds), some bitter (Rilo Kiley), some sad (Kevin Devine), some scroogey (Waits & Murphy), some classic (Run DMC, Waitresses) and a couple are simply great songs for any time of the year (especially John Prine’s Christmas In Prison).
As always, the mix is timed to fit on a standard CD-R. PW in comments.
1. The Ramones – Merry Christmas (I Don’t Want To Fight Tonight)
2. Green Day – Christmas Day
3. Eels – Christmas Is Going To The Dogs
4. Arcade Fire – Jinglebell Rock
5. Ben Folds – The Bizarre Christmas Incident
6. The Young Republic – Merry Christmas Again…
7. Low – Just Like Christmas
8. The Raveonettes – Come On Santa
9. Rufus Wainwright – Spotlight on Christmas
10. John Prine – Christmas In Prison
11. Kevin Devine – Splitting Up Christmas
12. Saint Etienne – I Was Born On Christmas Day
13. The dB’s – Christmas Time
14. The Waitresses – Christmas Wrapping
15. Firefox AK & Tiger Lou – Christmas Eve
16. Jill Sobule – (Christmas Is) The Saddest Day Of The Year
17. Rilo Kiley – Christmas Cake
18. Tom Waits & Peter Murphy – Christmas Sucks!
19. Home Grown – Christmas Crush
20. Yo La Tengo – Rock n Roll Santa
21. TVTV$ – Daddy Drank Our Xmas Money
22. Run DMC – Christmas in Hollis
23. Bootsy Collins – Santa’s Coming
24. Mr. Lif – Santa’s Got A Muthafuckin’ Uzi