Any Major Glam Vol. 2
Two years ago I ran the first Glam Rock mix, the playlist of which was subject to strict criteria to ensure a certain glam purity. I think it was on Facebook that somebody said that the genre could be interpreted more loosely, that even the Bay City Rollers could have a home on such a mix.
So the second volume is stretching the concept of glam to such limits that the purists’ mascara might run from angry exasperation. I mean, Kenny??? What was I thinking? A manufactured teeny group whose musicianship duties might or might not have been assumed by session musicians! And still, The Bump has a definite glam vibe. So in it goes, along with ABBA’s very glam So Long.
Of course, in my generous application of the glam concept, the Bay City Rollers had to feature as well. They do so with their most glam song, Saturday Night. But this is not the hit version from 1976 with Leslie McKeown on vocals, but the slightly rougher 1973 original with Nobby Clark on lead vocals and John Devine on guitar, which failed to bother the charts. Shortly after Clark and Dvine left the group and were replaced by teen dream boys McKeown and Stuart “Woody” Wood.
But take courage, the staples of glam rock are still represented: Slade, Sweet, Suzi Quatro, T. Rex (with the song used as the theme of the hit-and-miss Lip Synch Battle), Wizzard and so on — and Gary Glitter. I had exiled the sex criminal from the first mix, but that was a controversial decision. So here he is; if you can’t stand to listen to him, skip him.
British readers who lived through the 1970s will recognise the template that inspired the covers I made for this set, which is timed to fit on a standard CD-R. Password in comments.
1. T. Rex – 20th Century Boy (1973)
2. Slade – Mama Weer All Crazee Now (1972)
3. David Bowie – Sufragette City (1972)
4. Suzi Quatro – Too Big (1974)
5. Sweet – Fox On The Run (1975)
6. Bay City Rollers – Saturday Night (1973)
7. Wizzard – Ball Park Incident (1972)
8. Gary Glitter – I Love You Love Me Love (1973)
9. Abba – So Long (1974)
10. Rubettes – Juke Box Jive (1974)
11. Hello – New York Groove (1975)
12. Kenny – The Bump (1974)
13. The Glitter Band – The Tears I Cried (1975)
14. Alvin Stardust – Red Dress (1974)
15. Chicory Tip – Son Of My Father (1972)
16. Alice Cooper – No More Mr Nice Guy (1973)
17. The Arrows – Touch Too Much (1974)
18. Hound Dog – Rock’n’Roll Show (1973)
19. Mott The Hoople – Roll Away The Stone (1973)
20. Roxy Music – Virginia Plain (1972)
21. Mud – Hypnosis (1973)
22. Iron Virgin – Rebels Rule (1974)
23. The Troggs – Strange Movies (1973)
24. Cozy Powell – Dance With The Devil (1973)
And while we’re here, please take a look at my new sister blog of posters from Germany’s Bravo magazine from 1975-82, with new posters added every day. Today’s posters are of two acts featured on this mix. Find it at www.bravoposters.wordpess.com