Covered With Soul Vol. 17 – Motown Edition
What took me so long to do a Covered With Soul of Motown songs? This compilation begins, appropriately, with a Motown giant, Marvin Gaye, covering one of the great songs by other Motown giants, The Temptations. And that is followed by a track by a lesser known group whose records were issued by Motown , Bobby Taylor & The Vancouvers, covering a song best known in Marvin Gaye’s version (you’ll remember them from Any Major Soul 1968 as the group that included Cheech’s sidekick Chong and whose leader discovered the Jackson 5).
Some of the songs are well-known even to the cursory follower of Motown. A couple of others may be unknown to such people. They would do well to check out the Motown recordings of Junior Walker & The All Stars’ What Does It Take (To Win Your Love) and The Originals’ Baby, I’m For Real.
Purists might question the inclusion of Dusty Springfield in a soul mix. Actually, true purists won’t; just listen to Dusty sing Rita Wright’s I Can’t Give Back The Love I Feel For You.
As always, the mix is timed to fit in a standard CD-R, and includes covers. PW in comments.
1. Marvin Gaye – Cloud Nine (1970)
2. Bobby Taylor & The Vancouvers – I Heard It Through The Grapevine (1968)
3. S.O.U.L. – My Cherie Amour (1972)
4. Aretha Franklin – You’re All I Need To Get By (1973)
5. William Bell – You’ve Really Got A Hold On Me (3:28)
6. Donnie Elbert – Stop In The Name Of Love (1974)
7. The Spinners – My Whole World Ended (The Moment You Left Me) (1970)
8. Gladys Knight & The Pips – For Once In My Life (1973)
9. Carolyn Franklin – You Are Everything (1976)
10. Willie Hutch – I’ll Be There (1973)
11. Hearts Of Stone – What Does It Take (To Win Your Love) (1970)
12. Rosetta Hightower – Ain’t No Mountain High Enough (1971)
13. Rhetta Hughes – Baby, I Need Your Loving (1969)
14. The Five Stairsteps – Oooh, Baby Baby (1967)
15. Esther Phillips – Baby, I’m For Real (1972)
16. Martha Reeves – Ain’t That Peculiar (1974)
17. Dusty Springfield – I Can’t Give Back The Love I Feel For You (1968)
18. Vessie Simmons – Back In My Arms Again (1971)
19. Carl Graves – That’s The Way Love Is (1975)
20. The Bar-Kays – I Was Made To Love Her (1972)
21. Charles Wright & The Watts 103rd Street Band – Get Ready (1968)
22. David Porter – Reach Out And Touch Somebody’s Hand (1972)
* * *